Homeowners Beware: A Tree Falling On Your Roof Is Different Than A Tree Falling In Your Yard


When windstorms hit the leafy neighborhoods of Boston’s MetroWest suburbs, we go to work. Last month’s big winds took down a lot of trees, and homeowners had several questions about their insurance coverage and possible solutions.

Here are some of the top tips we shared with these homeowners:

Take a look at your homeowner’s insurance policy – it’s likely the standard HO-3 policy, with whatever endorsements and deductibles you elected to include in the most recent renewal discussion with your insurance agent.

There are two issues with a tree that has fallen on your house: 1. Getting the tree off your house; and 2. Disposing of the tree once it’s on the ground.

Your HO-3 should provide coverage for virtually any reasonable expense related to taking the tree off the structure and getting it to the ground.  Once it’s on the ground, however, coverage for removal stops.  Now you’re looking at “debris removal” coverage to dispose of the on-the-ground tree.

Your policy likely only covers $1,000 total for such debris removal.  It’s important to note that that $1,000 covers the total cost of removing all trees that are on the ground – regardless of how many there are.  We recently had a homeowner call us with 25 fallen trees on the ground, and tree removal services were looking to charge $500 per tree for removal.

That quickly becomes a big number.

If you have trees on your house or in your yard, give Swerling Milton Winnick a call.  We can help you maximize your coverage for such events.


If you’ve had a fire, flood or other property loss resulting in an insurance claim, and need a public insurance adjuster in Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, New England or anywhere in the U.S. or Caribbean, call Swerling Milton Winnick. We are the oldest and largest public adjusting firm in New England, and our team of experts will give you personalized, 24/7 attention to successfully resolve your residential or business insurance claim.